Monday, July 27, 2009

Bountiful garden delights

I had hoped this blog might start by chronicling our effort to turn this dumpy little house into a college student castle, but I figure we've got to start somewhere.

Earlier this summer we started a garden. We went to Home Depot to get the wood we needed to build some grow boxes, then got some soil from my dad. We planted sunflowers, corn, beans, peas, cucumber, squash, and zucchini. Lots and lots of zucchini. The average zucchini plant produces enough fruit to supply a family of six with steamed vegetables and zucchini bread for an entire summer with enough surplus to feed the neighbors. We are growing eight of them.

Jon hates the zucchini plants because they are growing fast and overtaking the peas. I like them because they're incredible. I mean, who else has eight zucchini plants? Needless to say, we are giving them away constantly to keep up with the supply. Additionally, I set a goal to eat one squash and one zucchini per day. This, it turns out, is harder than I thought. Here are the leftovers from my first attempt.


If you like zucchini, please stop by. So far, I've offered a piece to an exchange professor from China and a homeless guy. These were just random people walking by our garden. Imagine what you might come away with if we actually know who you are!

In the meantime, if you have any good recipes for zucchini, please leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment